- 3 teaspoons instant or rapid rise yeast (9 grams)
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk, warm
- 4 1/4 cups (640g) bread flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp All Spice OR Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (210g) sultanas
- 1 – 2 oranges, zest only
- 50g / 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, at room temperature
Extra Flour for Dough
- 1/4 cup (35g) Extra bread flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) flour
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp water
- Place flour, yeast, sugar, all spice, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Briefly mix with stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add butter, milk, egg, sultanas and zest.
- Standmixer: Mix until a smooth, elastic dough forms – 5 minutes on Speed 2 of standmixer. After 1 minute, add extra flour if required, just enough so the dough comes away from the side of bowl when mixing and doesn’t stick to your fingers.
Hand kneading: Alternatively, dust a work surface with flour and knead by hand for 10 minutes. Dough is kneaded enough when it’s smooth and does not break when stretched.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and place in a warm, wind free place to rise until doubled in size. This will take anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on how warm it is.
- Line a 31.5 x 23.5 cm / 9 x 13″ tray with baking paper with overhang.
- After the dough has risen, remove cling wrap and punch dough to deflate.
- Dust work surface with flour, place dough on work surface and shape into a log – this will deflate the air. Cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Take one piece and press down with palm, then use your fingers to gather into a ball, then roll the dough briefly to form a ball. This is how you get a smooth side to the buns. Place the ball with the smooth side up on the tray. Repeat with remaining dough. Line them up 3 x 4.
- Spray a piece of cling wrap lightly with oil (any), then loosely place over the tray.
- Return tray to warm place and leaver 30 – 45 minutes, until the dough has risen by about 75% (less than double in size).
- Partway through the dough rising, reheat oven to 180°C.
To make the crosses:
- Mix flour and water until a thick runny paste forms.
- Spoon into a round 3 mm piping bag or small ziplock bag then snip corner.
- Remove the cling wrap and pipe crosses onto the buns. Go slow so it hugs the curves.
To bake & glaze:
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until the surface is a deep golden brown. The surface colour is the best test for this recipe. Meanwhile, place jam and water in a bowl, microwave for 30 seconds. Mix to combine.
- Remove buns from oven. Use overhang to lift buns onto a cooling rack.
- Brush with jam mixture while warm. Allow to cool to warm before serving.
(Recipe sourced & adapted from recipetineats.com)