- ½ cup slivered or flaked almonds
- 2 large heads broccoli
- 2 heaped cups red grapes
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1¾ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ of a small clove garlic, finely grated/minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, optional
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon fine salt, add to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, add to taste
- Warm a small pan over a medium heat and add the slivered almonds. Keep them moving around the pan for 2 to 3 minutes until they smell really nutty and turn golden. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cut the broccoli into bite sized florets. Cut the stalks into thin matchsticks too if you don’t want to waste them. Wash thoroughly and shake dry or use a salad spinner. Put in a large salad bowl.
- Wash the grapes, dry them well and cut them all in half.
- In a small bowl mix up the dressing ingredients, adding the salt and pepper and maple syrup to taste. It’s important to over-season it a little bit because by the time it’s mixed through the broccoli it will be just right.
- Stir the dressing through the broccoli making sure to coat it all well, then add the grapes and stir them through gently.
- Leave to sit for at least 30 minutes if you can for the broccoli to tenderize a little and the flavours to meld together.
- Sprinkle over the toasted almonds just before serving.
(Recipe sourced & adapted from avirtualvegan.com)