- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and cut into roughly 3cm cubes
- 50-100ml milk
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp mascarpone
- 350g rigatoni or penne
- 40g grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Chopped basil leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat and fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 10-15 mins, until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the pumpkin in a pot of boiling salted water for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain and tip into a blender. Blitz with 50ml milk and the onions until completely smooth, gradually adding more milk until the mixture is a thick, creamy consistency. Tip into a large frying pan with the tomato purée and mascarpone, and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Drain, reserving a cupful of the cooking water. Toss the pasta with the pumpkin sauce, parmesan and 50-100ml of the reserved water to loosen. Season and scatter with extra parmesan and basil.
(This recipe was sourced and adapted from bbcgoodfood.com)