- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 medium red onion, grated
- 500g pork and veal mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
- Small fresh dill sprigs, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Salt, to season
- Place bread in a bowl. Add milk. Stand for 5 minutes. Add onion, mince, egg and spices. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Roll level tablespoons mixture into balls. Place on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, turning, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Add flour to pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in stock and cream. Bring to the boil. Return meatballs to pan. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with dill. Serve with bread.
(Recipe sourced & adapted from taste.com.au)